Having a big closet is a dream for many people, and for a good reason. Who wouldn’t love having all of their clothes and shoes perfectly organized and within arm’s reach? But beyond just being aesthetically pleasing and highly functional, custom walk-in closets can actually do a lot for the resale value of your home.
When staged correctly, a well-designed, custom walk-in closet has the power to make any potential buyer feel like they’ve hit the jackpot—which could be the deciding factor in whether or not they make an offer on your home.
Think about it—most people looking to buy a new home come from a place where they don’t have nearly enough storage space. So, when they see a beautiful, spacious walk-in closet that looks like it was made for their clothes, they will be pretty impressed.
Walk-in Closets Are Coming Back in Style
After months of being quarantined due to COVID-19 lockdowns, where most people were confined to their homes, it became obvious how important it was to have a comfortable home. Storage systems and custom closets were some of the most important elements that people looked for when house hunting during the pandemic.
And this makes sense. Cluttering up your home with clothes, shoes, and other belongings can make your space feel smaller and more cramped. Whereas having a designated place for everything can make your home feel bigger, more organized, and ultimately more relaxing.
72% of homeowners who underwent a closet renovation expressed a stronger desire to be at home when the project was finished, according to a 2019 survey conducted by the National Association of Realtors. The top two results cited by 56% of those who have redesigned their closets are better functionality and livability.
The Pros of Having a Walk-in Closet
There are a lot of reasons to love walk-in closets, but here are some of the most popular reasons that people choose to install them in their homes:
- Now you can put away all of your clothes, shoes, and accessories in one convenient location—finally, an end to overflowing cabinets and disorganized drawers.
- Walk-in closets make it easy to find what you’re looking for. Getting ready in the morning becomes a breeze when everything is organized and within reach.
- They can add value to your home. If you’re considering selling in the future, potential buyers will be impressed by a well-designed walk-in closet, which could help you get top dollar for your home.
- Walk-in closets are the perfect place to add a personal touch to your home. From the paint color to the type of shelving and storage systems you choose, you can make your walk-in closet as unique as you are.
- Custom walk-in closets will make anyone feel glamorous. If you’ve ever dreamed of having your own personal dressing room, custom walk-in closets can make that dream a reality.
Why You Need A Team of Professionals
While a well-designed closet can boost the resale value of your property, shoddy workmanship can actually have the opposite effect. If inexperienced contractors build the closet, the fit and finish may not be up to par, resulting in repairs, replacements and general disappointment with the investment.
While it’s certainly an investment, you want to make sure your closet turns out to be one you can enjoy and not a money pit. Poor construction can not only be costly in the long run, but it can also damage your other property. For this reason, hiring an experienced closet designer is key to ensuring high-quality results.
Is It Time to Revamp Your Closet?
If you are planning to sell your house anytime soon, or if you are simply sick of dealing with a cluttered closet, it may be time to consider installing a walk-in closet that is uniquely designed for your needs.
At Closets Plus Inc., we’ve been designing and installing custom storage solutions in upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina for over 20 years. We would be more than happy to help you create a beautiful, functional walk-in closet that fits your specific needs and budget.